Located at the foot ofa Africa's tallest mountain, the quaint village of Marangu offers fascinating insight into both modern Tanzanian life and into the lives of the Chaga people who once withstood vicious Maasai raids through the ingenious use of tunnels.
Your day tour includes a visit to these Chaga tunnels, a hike to a beautiful waterfall, a tour of a local coffee plantation, and the opportunity to sample the potent banana beer that is popular with the locals.
Details of One Day Marangu Village Tour
You'll depart from your Arusha hotel early in the morning or your Moshi/Kilimanjaro hotel shortly after breakfast. The town of Marangu is located a two-hour drive from Arusha.
The exact order of activities on your tour may vary, but all of our Marangu Village tours include:
- Kilasya Falls: The walk to these picturesque falls is a leisurely hike through local banana plantations and quiet clusters of homes. You'll use stepping stones to cross the river and there's a bit of muddy downhill hiking to get there, but the reward at the end is a towering waterfall with blessedly cool waters beneath. The particularly adventurous may even wish to hop in for a quick swim.
- Local coffee plantation tour: You'll pay a visit to a locally owned and operated coffee plantation to learn more about the process that takes the beans from the tree to our cups. Try your hand at manually grinding and roasting beans, and reward your hard work with some delicious, fresh coffee.
- Chaga tunnels tour: You'll venture down into the inky black darkness of the tunnels in which Chaga sheltered when the Maasai would raid from the lowlands. Your guide will guide you unerringly through the underground labyrinth as he describes the days of guerilla warfare and how the people survived underground for so long.
- Banana beer tasting: Visit a local banana beer vendor to try this potent local brew.
Your day tour also includes either a picnic lunch or lunch at a local restaurant.
You'll return to your lodge in the late afternoon (Moshi) or the early evening (Arusha).
- Day trip according to the itinerary
- Transportation in a 4×4 safari vehicle
- Professional, English-speaking guide
- Meals according to the itinerary
- Mineral water
- All mentioned activities
- All village fees
- Flying Doctors insurance (AMREF) during the day trip
- Optional activities
- Alcoholic and soft drinks
- Visa fees
- Personal spending money for souvenirs etc.
- Travel insurance